A heated Champions League match between Benfica and Real Madrid took an ugly turn on Tuesday night when Real Madrid forward Vinicius Junior was allegedly subjected to racist abuse.
The incident happened shortly after Vinicius scored a stunning goal to give Real Madrid the lead. As he celebrated, Benfica player Gianluca Prestianni approached him. Prestianni pulled his shirt up over his mouth and appeared to say something to the Brazilian forward.
Vinicius immediately reacted. He ran to match referee Francois Letexier and reported what had happened. The referee did not hesitate. He stopped the game and made the sign for FIFA’s anti-racism protocol by crossing his arms in front of his face.

The match was paused for around ten minutes as officials dealt with the situation.
What the Players Say
After the game, several players spoke out about what they heard.
Real Madrid midfielder Fede Valverde was clear in his comments. “When you cover your mouth with your shirt to say something, it’s obviously to say something really ugly,” he said. “He said a word that should never be used. It was pathetic, what he said. It’s really, really bad.”
Teammate Kylian Mbappé also gave a detailed account of the incident.
“There was player number 25 from Benfica, I don’t want to mention his name, he doesn’t deserve it, who started speaking rudely and saying insults,” Mbappé said. “Then he put his shirt down here and said ‘monkey, monkey, monkey’ repeatedly. I heard him say it, and some Benfica players heard him too.”
Mbappé went on to say that the player does not deserve to play in the Champions League anymore. He stressed the importance of players being good role models for young people.
Vinicius Junior also shared his feelings on social media after the match.
“Racists are, above all, cowards,” he wrote. “They need to cover their mouths with their shirts to show their weakness. But they also count on the protection of others who, in theory, have the obligation to punish them.”

He added that he was given a yellow card for celebrating his goal, which he said he still does not understand. He called the anti-racism protocol poorly executed and said it served no purpose.
Prestianni Denies Allegations
The Benfica player at the center of the allegations, Gianluca Prestianni, released a statement denying any racist behavior.
“I want to clarify that at no point did I direct any racist insults to Vini Jr, who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard,” Prestianni said. “I was never racist with anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players.”
Mourinho Sent Off and Speaks Out
The drama did not end with the players. Real Madrid’s manager Jose Mourinho was sent off during the match.

Mourinho later explained that his red card had nothing to do with the Vinicius incident. Instead, he claimed the referee had been given instructions about which players he could book.
“I was sent off because I said something very clear,” Mourinho said. “The referee had a note that basically said: ‘Tchouaméni, Carreras and Huijsen can’t get a yellow card!’ Because they would have missed the second leg.”
Mourinho said he told the referee he had spent 1,400 games on the touchline and knew how these things work. He will now have to watch the second leg from the stands.
On the subject of the racism allegation, Mourinho chose to stay neutral.
“I will be independent; I will not say I believe Prestianni or Vini, I was not there,” he said. “Prestianni denies it, but I will not pick a side. The biggest legend in this club is Eusebio, this club is not racist.”
He did, however, offer some advice to Vinicius about his goal celebration.
“When you score a goal like that, you should celebrate in a respectful way,” Mourinho said. “Why don’t you celebrate it like Di Stéfano, like Pele, Eusebio? Why can’t you celebrate a goal with just the happiness of being a great player?”

Brazilian National Team Shows Support
The Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) released an official statement standing by Vinicius Junior.
“The CBF stands by Vinícius Júnior, who was the victim of another act of racism this Tuesday,” the statement read. “Racism is a crime. It is unacceptable. It cannot exist in football or anywhere else. Vini, you are not alone.”
The statement praised Vinicius for activating the protocol and called his actions an example of courage and dignity.
What Happens Next
UEFA is expected to review the incident. The anti-racism protocol was activated during the match, which means an official report will be filed. If the allegations are proven, Prestianni could face a significant ban.
For now, the focus remains on the words spoken and the reactions they caused. Real Madrid won the match, but the victory has been overshadowed by events that many in football hoped were becoming a thing of the past.
The second leg of the tie will take place next week in Madrid, with Mourinho watching from the stands and Vinicius hoping to let his football do the talking.

